Coming Together

I've ridden in Toler's new bit three times now, and it's been wonderful so far. The first day I took things really light. We warmed up on the rail inside, then I took him to the outdoor arena to see how he'd fair, as I hadn't ridden with the bit outside yet and it was especially windy that day (Friday). He was a little strong on it at first, but I attribute that to the wind--like most horses Toler hates wind. But hey, he's from Winnipeg area so he should be more used to wind anyway. lol We also went over a tiny jump, hardly 1'8," which Toler actually jumped (to my surprise). He seemed to do very well with the jumping, didn't tense his neck over it, or evade the bit before or after it, and he did actually round considering it was a small jump. Then again, it was small, so it's not a good indication at all as to whether I'll be using the bit all the time or just for non-jumping things.

Sunday I joined three friends on a trail ride. We warmed up inside first, and I'd moved the reins down to the curb ring on the bit because Toler tends to be extremely strong on the bit on trails. He's good about it and listens to me well anyway, but, it has definitely been a problem I've never satisfactorily resolved. Even with our Mikmar bit (looove that bit), he'd be a bit too far above the vertical and rather heavy on my hands. As I was warming up, though, I noticed Toler was extremely light on the bit--almost touchy. I added a second pair of reins, and that was perfect. He went fine (as usual so far) on the snaffle rein, but on the trail I did have to use a little pressure now and then on the curb. But he was wonderfully collected for the whole ride. Save one little uphill cantering stint where he felt he was being left behind and spazzed out. Even then, a little pressure on the curb and he was right back in my hands.

Oh, and the pheasant incident (not a duck). There was a pheasant hidden in a bush right next to the trail, but of course it didn't move until Alex and Charlie were nearly on top of it. Then it must have gotten stuck in the bush (really, I have no idea how it fit in the tiny bush anyway), because suddenly the bush was shaking. Poor Charlie probably thought it was attacking him, he shot forward to a safe distance just as the pheasant flew out. Toler, on the other side of Charlie and back a little ways, just looked at it like, "What the frell?" (Yes, yes, I'm a geek. My main mode of explicatives involves sci-fi shows and a word of Norwegian.)

I rode two-reined again yesterday in the outdoor arena. It took us a while to get going. I didn't even think of the fact that Toler's not used to my having two reins, so I didn't warm up to the contact, which caused some confusion. Once I slowed it down and started with the snaffle only, letting the curb rein be slack, Toler was perfect. I love his turning with that bit. He actually listens to my body and balance. If only I could use it for dressage. I don't even need the curb rein. I just can't find any other mullen mouth bit in 6." (Weymouth aside, as I could find a good 6" mullen weymouth and 6" three-link KK bradoon combination for like $250.) Oh well. I've got a year at least before I'd be able to show again, considering I don't have any show clothes anymore.

Today I think I'll ride with the bareback pad and do actual lateral work.

Post a Comment

TolHorse Studios

TolHorse Studios
Emma's photoblog, featuring art and photography

About Me

My photo
"Make shit up." -Michael Allen Parker. Following that advice, I make a lot of shit up. I suppose that's why I write fiction. Magic realism and fantasy, to be exact, in both short fiction and novel-length forms. I also do a bit of poetry, compose a little, take lots of photos, and ride/train/show my horse. When I'm not doing any of that I'm probably thinking up a lot of crazy things, whether in truth or in jest.

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP