Dressage Attire Rule Change (A bit of a rant)

USEF recently made a rule change concerning appropriate dressage coat options. I'm not going to go through it all, but I picked up on it from Behind the Bit's blog post on the subject, so I'm just going to link back there. She did a pretty good job of going through it.
Just for highlights. Essentially any dark color is allowable under USEF rule. Plus the following (quoted from Behind the Bit):

  • Now contrast colors and piping (collar, cuffs, pockets) are allowed (my personal favorite rule change).
  • Now you can wear colored shirts (so long as they're solid) when coats are waived. Pinstripes and subtle patterns are okay. No t-shirts -- shirts must have collars.
  • Cooling vests may be worn under the coat or vest.
  • Solid vests may be worn if coats are waived. This is a big deal for people who don't like to wear shirts tucked in.
  • Up to 2 small logos can be worn on the torso.
  • Hats, stocks, ties, gloves and riding boots may be the same color as the coat.
The essential rule change looks something like this (again, from Behind the Bit):

Now starts my commentary...

WHAT?! Dressage is apparently no longer dressage. Sure, they'll ride their tests and horses like dressage riders and dressage horses. But in my opinion, this is just the Western showman's need for style inevitably infecting all of equestrian competition. I knew the classic, eloquent dressage look was doomed the moment they started putting rhinestones on bridles. (Which is SOOO tacky and unnecessary, in my opinion.)

Dressage went from looking like this:

To looking like this:

Hello? Does this say HUNTER to anyone else? How can any judge or spectator take a dressage rider seriously if they ride in looking like they just got done with their 2'3" Low Hunter Class. I don't care if the coat cost $800, it is NOT DRESSAGE.

When did everyone get so concerned about "fashion in the show ring"?! Who the frak CARES about fashion? That used to be the English-to-Western all-time put down: "We don't need bright pink shirts with rhinestones and silver plated saddles to win." What are people thinking? Any rider knows that a good rider and a good horse stands out because they're GOOD. Not because they have a good fashion sense. Sure, neatness of the horse's braids or how shiny your field boots are might be tie-breakers, but fashion has no place in English showing.

I was talking about this with some of the gals at the stable. Now, in our opinion, the only riders who should break from the classical look (be it dressage, show jumping, or hunter discipline) are those riders who have earned the coat. Especially in dressage and show jumping, certain coats and looks are status symbols. Not in the "Oh, I drive a Hummer" way but in the "I'm part of the US Olympic Team" or "I served our country in the armed forces" way. (And, really, in my honest opinion, military uniforms on riders look GREAT, and in dressage and eventing, the military look is even more classic because dressage and eventing sprung from historical horseback military training.)

The coat becomes a symbol of achievement, of dedication, of honor and courage and service and strength. Bringing in Ms. Pinstripe with Beige, to me, is a slap in the face to every rider who has earned the right to break classic.

Post a Comment

TolHorse Studios

TolHorse Studios
Emma's photoblog, featuring art and photography

About Me

My photo
"Make shit up." -Michael Allen Parker. Following that advice, I make a lot of shit up. I suppose that's why I write fiction. Magic realism and fantasy, to be exact, in both short fiction and novel-length forms. I also do a bit of poetry, compose a little, take lots of photos, and ride/train/show my horse. When I'm not doing any of that I'm probably thinking up a lot of crazy things, whether in truth or in jest.

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP